[SpaceProgram] Introduction & Leightweight probes

Andreas Sturm masterstorm123 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:34:48 CEST 2012

Hello @all,

I'm new to this hackerspace... Hope I post it on the right spot...

I'm a DIY-biologist - especially on bioluminescence, thereafter biodiesel
and meat produced by plants - who is also very interested in space
exploration. Sadly, there's nothing new about that topic. Constellation
cancelled...

So I'm thinking and thinkering about ultra-lightweight interstellar probes
(if they are very very lightweight, they don't need so much ion fuel to
accelerate!) They may just use a microcontroller (or two for redundancy)
and a camera. They also would just send one picture a day to save energy. A
very small plutonium-pellet would power the probe, also keeping the probe
warm... Some 5-10 watts may do the job... Thus it would be pulsed ion-drive
-> charge a capacitor for some hours, then power the ione drive for one
hour.
And also about Martian probes and habitats, e.g. inflatable ones.

What's your opinion on lightweight crafts? I think this is the only cheap
way to go, and nowadays it has to be cheap or it gets cancelled...

The hundred years starship project is a very great thing. I hope fundings
will be approved...

Sincerely,