[SpaceProgram] 57 hours remaining to submit RFP for 100YSS

Paul Szymkowiak paulszym+cchs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 22:48:01 CET 2011

Hi Ricky/ Jerry,

I think Jerry has raised a number of great points, but particularly his
points regarding the approach to education:

 One thought I had -- the program should have an educational component -
> one to teach people helping in near term, and for much later when starship
> is enroute.  This is a multi-generational effort and we need to train
> people up quickly.  Perhaps we could sponsor some competitions to develop
> focused self-taught/group classes in various Maker tech... rapid prototype
> machines, 3d design for rapid manufacturing, microelectronics (arduino,
> general electronics), troubleshooting, programming etc.  The course
> materials would be CC licensed and available through the organization to
> further the development of other projects.  We could/should have
> educational component to most of the other projects so as to distribute the
> knowledge of how to build it.

Kicking this off can be part of the job of the full-time officer of the
organization. We've been doing pretty well with our classes at XinCheJian
and I'd love to keep extending this educational effort.

Ricky, I think this is a key hackerspace differentiator, and an important
response to 100YSS. What Jerry is talking about here needs to be a core
part of the vision and plan now, not something to be kicked off later
(although of course the *implementation* would be).

This is a great vision of how hackerspaces fit the need, and I see two key
elements here: 1) a truly open source, creative commons "from the ground
up" maker education program, and 2) a maker education program that, from
the outset, addresses the need for 100YSS to have *enroute*
multi-generational learning and self-improvement to support ongoing
development and discovery of new technologies.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Szymkowiak
HackMelbourne.org <http://hackmelbourne.org/>