[SpaceProgram] 57 hours remaining to submit RFP for 100YSS

Jerry Isdale jerry at mauimakers.com
Wed Nov 9 21:49:54 CET 2011

Aloha

I've been remiss in putting some time to this effort. I looked at and edited the g-doc proposal a bit this AM. I added myself in the participant part and updated the MauiMakers section a bit.  In the Sources of Funding section, I added Crowd-Sourced (eg Kickstarter) for specific projects.

One thought I had -- the program should have an educational component - one to teach people helping in near term, and for much later when starship is enroute.  This is a multi-generational effort and we need to train people up quickly.  Perhaps we could sponsor some competitions to develop focused self-taught/group classes in various Maker tech... rapid prototype machines, 3d design for rapid manufacturing, microelectronics (arduino, general electronics), troubleshooting, programming etc.  The course materials would be CC licensed and available through the organization to further the development of other projects.  We could/should have educational component to most of the other projects so as to distribute the knowledge of how to build it.

Sponsoring hackerspace/open competitions for various focused topic challenges could be another good way for our organization to develop the general tech for the 100YSS.

That said, there is a LOT of stuff DARPA will be looking for in a proposal, not the least of which is the financial/management aspect.  I'm not qualified to do this part, but speak from experience with prior DARPA proposals.  They look heavily at both the tech side and the can-they-actually-pull-this-off side -- oh yeah and the can-they-handle-the-FAR-accounting-requirements angle.  I dont know if they need us to be FAR compliant. I hope not. That sucks up a huge chuck of the funding by itself.

Lots to write up here to make it a full response.

Jerry Isdale
http://MauiMakers.com
http://www.mauimakers.com/blog/thursday-public-meeting/