[Pen] Handheld Transceiver

eric© ericlists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:35:18 CEST 2012

If you're looking for just a rescue solution, all the guys in my expedition
group carry the SPOT beacons.

If you're looking for "will work just about anywhere", look at satellite
phones.

Depending on terrain and location, even a handheld Ham rig may not be
enough.  Even with a vehicle mounted antenna, my 5 watt Yaesu can
occasionally not key up repeaters only a few miles away if I'm down in a
canyon or wash out here in the mountains.

Eric