[Hackupy-discuss] Aerial camera platform / GoPro vs streaming

Greg Simpson gws at deardorff.com
Sat Nov 26 20:28:45 CET 2011

The GoPro solution would involve retrieving the video after a flight is
completed. The problem is that a high resolution video stream is highly
desirable, but would involve very high bandwidth wireless. This is
difficult to achieve without pro gear.

We could also try lofting a cell phone and using 802.11 to get high
bandwidth video, but it would be susceptible to interference (and would
also be fairly expensive in terms of off-the-shelf cost). We could reduce
interference by using a high gain antenna on the ground, but bear in mind
that cell phone 802.11 chipsets are not designed with range in mind. I
think the primary concern is that the image sensor sensitivity may not be
sufficient for night shooting: but cell phones are improving every year,
so at some point soon this would become quite feasible.

-g