[Hackupy-discuss] Aerial camera platform

sam reese skibumperspective at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 19:23:32 CET 2011

DSC/Occucopter report

Given a few days of futzing around with the parts that we had, I'm
pretty locked into using the AeroQuad design, but really, I'm tempted
by the simplicity of the KK chip. I got our software interfacing with
the hardware, configured the reciever with the aeroquad board, and was
able to read correct data from all sensors that we currently have. The
remaining sensors (gyro, magnometer, barometer) should be arriving
monday or tuesday), I also got our ESC/Motor flashed with a good
firmware, and operating.

 In the parts obtainment department, We've got a GoPro HD coming in on
a loan, we've likely got access to a less-than-brilliant FPV camera
(very useful for flying the cameras). I've also got 8 sets of rotors
coming in soon.

Things we are still in need of
 -some thin aluminum, roughly 1/2" box tube, 3-4 feet of it, thin wall.
 - someone with a laser cutter to pew-pew us some landing gear and
electronics carriage out of some acrylic I have laying around
 - motors/esc: we have one 20/30 Amp ESC and a Tunergy 2830/11
(http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12921)
which should be plenty for stable flight with a camera. I'd like the
motors to be matched, so we need either 3x of those, or 4x of
something.
 - LiPo batteries: for a single flight of 15-20 min (and that's
running the batteries DRY, so since we don't have battery telemetry,
we'd be returning with 20% or so remaining), aeroquad forums seem to
suggest around 5000 mAh. (which will add up to around 450-550 g of
weight): we're deciding between one large battery in the center, or
distributing smaller batteries at the ends of the chopper to make it
more stable by increasing polar intertia.
 - LiPo Charger: Here's hoping someone has one we can borrow for a while!

So that's our status. I'll get a accurate scale probably sunday and
start adding up weights of the componentry that we have, and report
back before too long.

Also, I got @Occucopter on twitter.
~Sam