[Hackupy-discuss] oakland occucopter meeting and developments

sam reese skibumperspective at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 21:59:02 CET 2011

On both counts, Hell Yes. Tricopters appear to be a very cool design,
I am very excited to see how your build will come, as well as the
flying stability of the tri. It has a lot of theoretical advantages
over a quad-rotor design.

As to lightweight hardwoods: also a hell yes. good woods are amazingly
strong, vibration dampening, and can be turned into a
ghetto-carbon-fiber with the addition of wood-glue. (Im not kidding:
wood glue impregnated balsa is amazingly strong).

We used aluminium because we're a metal shop, and we had a bunch of
it, and I'm pretty good at working with it. On a more pragmatic side,
having a stronger and heaver frame should stabilize the system while
we learn to fly the damnable thing, and should also give us greater
resilience when we wreck the thing.