[foodhackingbase] [Noisysquare] Dutch Hackercamp 2017

Christian christian at torservers.net
Mon Mar 23 16:53:10 CET 2015

Hej,

On 03/23/2015 04:20 PM, Luis Fernandez wrote:
> For excellent food, friendly dinners, cold storage and an actual hacker
> approach to food there was the Food Hacking Base, which IMO was the most
> awesome kitchen in the whole of OHM.

Thanks. Much was done ad hoc by different ppl just using the gear. The
foodhackingbase did not intent to be a general food serving point tho.

> - Support to the Food Hacking Base
> - Coordination of cold storage (facilitate a way for attendants to say
> "I have a fridge" so that other attendants can say "can I store my milk
> in your fridge?")

Please do run community kitches. Foodhackingbase cannot/should not be
relied on feeding people. It really gets in the way for some workshops.
Of course, using/sharing gear is no problem.

But what did FHB have? We raided a thrift store for most stuff. It was
mostly kitchen grade stuff, with few exceptions (I think some gas rigs
where rather big, and at least one pot was huge, rest was off the shelf
home use stuff). So a community kitchen can easily run without too much
hassle.
Some gas rigs, pots, fridges + thriftstore did do a great job.

As long as people do cook not only for themselves but add a couple of
servings it all goes nicely.

Coordination to buy from food coop was done as well. Others can speak up
on that. It leaves much room to be improved, but in the end it is a
community effort and not too bad in terms of workload if you have many
helping hands.

FHB is currently working on getting ready for CCCamp 2015, so if you
want to help, join in. [0]

If you want to work on the "feeding the masses" issue, start community
kitchens. I am sure a bunch of us will help, but it cannot/should not be
offloaded to FHB. It will probably require organizing one big cold room
and coordinated buying of (basic) ingredients. As well as distribution
and a rough estimate what one such base needs.

It does not need to be organized by the orgas top down, we can easily do
that bottom up, but it needs some planning.

Cheers,
Christian

PS: help us build a nice cold room, which can be reused. we failed with
that at ohm. (badly)