[foodhackingbase] future possibilities and directions for food hacking base

Christian Pfaab christian at pfaab.name
Mon Mar 2 16:08:22 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 11:25 AM, Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck wrote:

> On 2015-02-23 01:12, Christian Pfaab wrote:

>> On 02/22/2015 04:52 AM, Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck wrote:

>> So I strongly suggest putting in money for getting a decent stock of
>> items and ways to get them transported (boxes etc). Everyone in the
>> tearup/teardown process will profit from it, every time. (Big thanks to
>> the buildup/teardown crew, doing an awesome job every time)
>
> ### Yes lets make it as a "to do" for CCC camp in the summer, have to
> think where to post about that, probably "next event" on our fhb wiki.

Maybe a wishlist for Gear that we can purchase in case of surplus.

>> I am sure everyone had this discussion with
>> starting a hackerspace and realized it stays a hard problem. Haveing
>> "member fees" to pay someone else from the community is IMHO a no go. (I
>> see myself and others fall into the trap of "but he gets paid, so he has
>> to do it" thinking)
>
> ### As mentioned above, for preparations for international events it
> would be pitfall I think, to run the things around fhb at the moment is
> doable without payments still, but if the things grows and more time is
> needed we will have to find either how to get more people/volunteers in
> for these activities or come up with another solutions.
>
>> That said, I would love to see people make a living off the things they
>> love.
>
> ### Same here and I think fhb should help to that in the related fields,
> but as discussed here and in other emails it looks like more and more
> that it should not get "directly involved" with any wage payments. Seems
> to me that fhb could function more like an "umbrella organization".

Or a "brand" like MAKE has become.

>> I like project attached reimbursements for people. W/o reading the mails
>> concerning a forum I am somewhat suprised to see a forum as an example
>> to put money to, yet I unfortunately understand the reasoning. With
>> hardware projects I do see it more clear, as you sometimes blow some
>> equipment, have wear and tear. And of course, we all fuck up in
>> cooking/food stuff sometimes :)
>> I can only speak for  myself and I know how I spent and plan to spend
>> reimbursements from projects, which mostly is put the money forward to
>> new projects. It always gave me freedom to do more stuff, so I fully
>> support that.
>
> ### if I understand properly you mean build up a budget, reimburse/repay
> what necessary do more stuff, make bigger budget etc. right? We need to
> do that, it is definitely one line which we should keep growing.

I do reinvest a lot of money I get from side projects back into my gear.
Like currently a HotAir Rework Station and some other stuff. I know many
folks who work on the same model, it is noone sees getting money out of
a small project as "uh great, wage" but more like "uh great, money for
future projects".

Anyway. Planning and putting some funds to give ppl doing the projects
should be easier doable when you do fundraising.

>> All in all I am not happy to think about giving money out from fhb  w/o
>> it being properly secured with saveing to pay for damaged stuff from
>> folks, handle unexpected costs, do advance decisions. Take ohm2013 as
>> the best example, a lot of money upfront was needed to pay for the
>> tents, and moreover the certainity that the money would be there in time.
>
> ### I'm not sure if I understand you here. Especially for the camps
> larger sums of money - like over 1000 rather 2000 eu are needed for fhb.
> Easily few hundreds are needed during the event and after for "issues",
> these resources are easy to accumulate during the event. I would love to
> see our budget in plus number on a Day 0, that would be lovely :-)

Bad wording from me. I would love us NOT to think about how to do
fundraising for next event, we can just say yes to attend because of
savings.  Of course we still would do fundraising, but regardless of
outcome we still have the event secured (moneywise).
And of course, we have not broken any major things that we should repay,
yet. But I think this will eventually come (accidents happen)

Cheers,
Christian