[foodhackingbase] future possibilities and directions for food hacking base

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Sun Feb 22 04:52:36 CET 2015

Hi to all and Kai,
this email became quite long and it is as I write it, no special
wordings etc. touching many important topics. If you have been involved
for a while or you are just keeping an eye on us, please read it and
comment, it would be highly appreciated. Sorry for writing in length.

Concerning the fhb financial budget we just kept a track of the budget
which we used mostly for the events - preparations, running and closing
up. However in the last year or two we started to pay for our hosting
service at Uberspace, security certificates (money were donated) and we
started to invest more into projects in between the events like the
Experimental Incubator development. So in other words things are going
in the direction of more permanently active community which produces and
consumes more resources and needs more energy and time to keep organized
and funded.

Joining until know meant that someone is interested in food&drink
related projects which have often also scientific and technological
aspect, so people started to ask questions, post, got involved with
preparations for the congresses and well become fhb base folk :-) No
clear procedure, we know each other over the time. Generally people who
are around for some time are the "main orga" for the next event if they
have time and they want to do it, new people are helping for their first
event and if all goes well they get deeper involved in the community
later on becoming the orga for next event, starting to exercise the
consensus more etc.

It seems to me that we are approaching a crossroad where we should
decide how to move further. More and more people know about us, more and
more people keep in touch. We can do a lot, resources are needed for
that, mostly the human ones but financial too. At the moment I can
imagine keeping the group smaller and operate as we do now, basically as
hobbyist having fun and keeping it easy. Second way would be become more
and more active, basically starting to do at least some of our projects
as professionals, more on that later. On the  topic of membership,
having some kind of "membership", associate membership etc. is one of
the ways. If we go that road I would suggest not to directly relate it
to the "membership payments", having sliding scale options etc. but that
is just mine opinion and honestly I'm not sure, I have to think about
that and we need to discuss that it is a big thing, however I think we
should go through that and decide on something.

What I know for myself and can express freely and happily is, that I
want to see fhb increasing it's activity which however means also more
time and energy invested by people who are involved in it. Till now all
these activities which moved us forward were done on voluntary bases,
which was lovely however also it becomes clear to me that it is limiting
us in a way. We tried to give people who did the work variety of
advantages like ingredients from events, wooden materials left
afterwards, do some social event in their local community (reciprocal
help :-)) etc. but except my case who profited most I would say it was
rather symbolic. I personally would be very happy to be able to get some
monetary resources from fhb activities because I could invest more time
in the project but I'm aware or rather worried how that would affect the
dynamic of the group and it's inter human relationship. It seems to me
that the effect would be overall negative at least that is my feeling
about that. On the other hand I think I can clearly see that several of
our activities have really big potential to really be an inspiration and
helping a new revolutionary things to happen however without resources
for the people who have the knowledge and experience so they can
dedicate more time into this directly and make it happen I don't see
this likely to happen. That is what I experience on my side when I
really would like to dedicate more of my time and energy to these
activities but I just cant because I have to go on the field doing some
field work for cash to cover my living costs. I feel personally that I
can do so much more in food hacking base if I had more time and more
stability but it would have to become full time dedication on my side
and I do not have personal funds at the moment to make that happen. I
have met several people who I know would love to get involved much more
but they would need some payment for their work or other types of
reimbursements.

One way how we could get resources for our activities and even money for
some modest "wages" would be to run dedicated crowdsourcing campaigns
for given activity/project with clear statement that for example 30% of
the funds will be dedicated to the payments to the people who will do
the work on this project. From my point of view it is an honest thing to
do, nothing bad to feel about and it would help a lot (for example on my
side), also it could still keep the fhb main project voluntary etc. An
example could be the experimental incubator project for example, or
establishing the food hacking base forum which we talk about for a
while. I would not suggest at least for the moment any personal vages
etc. for the organization of the main events like CCC events and the
bulk of the fhb activities. Also for the "wages" or personal payments if
we go that way in the future I would strongly argue to set them in the
manner that they are of a such hight that if you are after money, you
would not become interested, realizing that you can get for example
double wages in another project etc. In other words it should appeal to
the really interested people so they could do what they believe in and
cover their bills.

Please do note that by the late spring we plan to be done with building
the fermentation facility, small hacker/open space and residency here in
Jeju and it is my hope to make this available to people to come and
collaborate. Of course running some crowdsourcing campaign or something
like that to get some resources for the building activities, energies
etc. would be lovely. However this could help to some people to become
more active and keep their expenses minimal when doing so. Similar
places and communities I would love to initiate in Europe and other
places, sharing resources etc. This one is kind of a prototype or a real
life field experiment :-) And yes all of this is being done and funded
from my and Eunha's personal finances, energy and time and I wish I
could do this way faster but did not have resources and I hope to change
that because I think having "real food hacking base facility" is just
cool and so much can be done!

Anyway I think that you hit Kai the nail on the head, lets see what the
others think discussion is opened seems to me :-)

Sincerely from Jeju,

Frantisek

PS Maybe it would be good just to send the responses to the list so we
do not copy everyone, who wants to stay tuned in is on the list by know
anyway