[foodhackingbase] Wiki relaunch

Ingo Weidauer i.weidauer at gmx.net
Sat Feb 1 12:27:38 CET 2014

Hey together,

for the QuestyCaptcha extension... We can use several answers
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:QuestyCaptcha#Question_and_Answer_Setup
e.g.

     'What is this wiki about?' =>array('food','food hacking')
     'What can you make from mate?' => array('matelade','tee')

> SSL, I would suggest to get a commercial cert like Alexander offered to
> do. We will hopefully also attract people who are food-savvy, but not
> tech-savvy, so the page access should work without irritation.

I think using a cacert certificate would be ok but if a lot people think
we might discourage people using the site, we can go with the commercial
as well. But I wouldn't pay money for it because I think people are
smart enough to have a look what kind of certificate it is.

> Regarding structure and namespaces:
>
> MediaWiki gives three possibilities to structure content pages:
> namespaces (page named like "Recipe:Foo"), categories (page tagged with
> [[Category:Recipe]] in body) und subpages (like subdirectories, page
> named like "Recipe/Foo").
>
> Currently, we are using namespaces for recipes, categories for projects
> and associated groups and also subpages¹.
>
> My idea was to use an extra namespace only for recipes, using
> categories there for an orthogonal dimension, e.g. key ingredients.
>
> So I would tag event pages with [[Category:Event]] at the bottom of the
> page. Maybe additionally laying them out as subpages to have nice URLs
> like /Events/Bar_Event_2014.

I played around with the Category tags in the wiki. I think this is a
good idea to have a namespace with recipees and then tag the every other
pages with categories.
We can tag a recipee or manual with several tags.
e.g.

Prison wine short manual workshop version --> Categories: Drink ,
Fermentation: Alcoholic, Wine, Workshop
Ginger ale--> Categories: Drink, Fermentation:Symbiosis, Beer:Ginger

The category of fermentation would be very important in my opinion. It
would be nice to give people a hint what happens when they use the
recipee. I for myself needed a long time to understand just the basics
what happens when alcoholic fermentation happens or just the fact that
ginger beer plant is a symbiosis of different bacteries and yeasts. We
shouldn't describe everything new. We should give some good links to
wikipedia for example.

For the Event category we should do active sorting like this and a good
subdirectory structure that everyone can see the date when the page is
shown in the event category.
e.g.
Events/2013/30c3FoodhackingBase or
Events/2013/12/30c3FoodhackingBase