[Foodhacking_at_camp] updates - running water, septic tank

mAcfreAk macfreak109 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:48:07 CEST 2011

Hey guys'n'gals!

Just to give a short update for the breakfast and Sushi stuff...with some questions ;-) Sorry about the looooooong mail :-/

General questions
-----------------------
- Is the running water consumable/drinkable? Or do I need to plan bringing some drinking water to prepare my dishes (i.e. the Müsli wheat must be watered for a few hours)?

Breakfast
------------
- At what time should breakfast start?
- For my Müsli (in german Frischkornbrei) [note : No, it's not Bircher-Benner], I would need some fresh fruit, origins don't matter, as long as it's fresh :-). So, if you could put some on your shopping list, that'd be great! However, I would love to see lots of Apples as this is the basis fruit for the Müsli mix.
- Also needed for the Müsli is sweet cream (the one you use when you wanna prepare whipped cream), and lots of. Yes, Müsli *does* contain calories ;-) (But it also covers around 70% of nutritional values for the day).
- I'll bring my own "prepared" wheat myself, so no extras here.
- Addons : to make Müsli more tasteful, I add some local seeds which are mainly sunflower seeds and flaxseed (Leinsamen). Some nuts would do well too...peacan nuts, walnuts, or any other kind which is available there.
- Serving : As the Müsli should be served in a bowl of some kind, it would be great if we had some of those as well. Now, I don't know how it is with dishes @CCC, but I'd prefer some porcellaine or glass ones (hmmm....those do break, however) but plastic or maybe paper does the trick as well. If necessary, I could buy some and will offer those to our space afer camp. I guess we'd need at least 40 of them, so that we don't get in a tight course when serving Müsli 2 days in a row. Should you run into trouble finding some, I can have a look for paper ones, those don't crap up environment as much. Just drop me a note (but please before August 3rd ;-) )!
-The fruits and Müsli should be prepared in a matter of _cold_ buffet, so the main Müsli mix in the middle, fresh fruit surrounding the latter. As such, people can take the fruits they like best and cut them into their bowls. In that way, we won't  unnecessarily waste lots of fruits and they can be represented the following day(s).
_cold_ meaning that it would rock if we had some ice or cooling buffet there...I'm not sure about the weather in Berlin, but it certainly promises to be hot in August.

So for your shopping list there would be:
- fresh fruits
- more Apples (pref. red ones, a bit sweeter)
- event. procellaine/glas bowls of a contents of +- 40/50cl
- sunflower seeds (about 1kg)
- flaxseed (about 1kg)
- diff sorts of nuts (also around 1-2 kg)

Sushi
---------
If I understood well, I'll be preparing Sushi on my own and people wanting to learn the stuff simply join the fun?
I'm going to write a "Sushi for Hackers" guide (hopefully before CCC) which I'll publish on syn2cat's pages and (if I finish on time) will also bring some printed copies to carry away.
So, in order to fill up the buffet, I will start doing Sushi around 11h00, it'll take about 45 min/1 hour before everybody can get to work and produce some Sushi. Some pieces will be certainly going "missing in action" (i.e. eaten by their producers) but most of it should survive to the buffet. So I count that around 12h30, we will have about 2-3 kg of rice, meaning about 200 Sushis ready for consumtion.
I shall repeat this workshop at least twice, if I'm really good mooded (depends a lot on my sleep), every day...

Nearly all of the ingredients will be bought by myself as I have tested several brands and I want to bring those with which I had best results. So, the fish will come from Hamburg (we'll be there the day before camp) as I can't be any fresher and the other stuff, I'll manage myself.

-> Oh, another maybe important question : Is there a rice-cooker at the foodhacking tents? If yes...how much can it prepare and how long does it take?
And if not, I might be taking one form my own...it's simpler to prepare the rice in one of those.

--- end of long talk ;-) -------

OK, so enough talk from me, I hope I didn't miss sth here, otherwise, I'll post it on the ML and to the Wiki as needed.

Thanks for having me and I'm reaaaaaaaally looking forward to this ;-)))

Cheers!

mAcfreAk.

On 24 juil. 2011, at 15:23, Frantisek Apfelbeck wrote:

> Hello!
> I've got really good news. We are going to have running water and direct access
> to septic tank! Thanks to the ccc organizers and Jeedi especially!
>
> For anyone familiar with "big scale coking" this is a major achievement, I'm
> very relieved. Of course now is question what is going to be the pressure of the
> water, how we set up the washing station, sinks maybe dish wash machine etc.
> Lot's of these things will have to be decided and sorted on the spot, but I'll
> be in from 3th/8 so there should be enough time.
>
> Talk to you soon,
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Frantisek

mAcfreAk        -      founder seeds.lu