[foodhacking] start up budget reached plus bit of summary

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 14:38:01 CEST 2013

Greetings,
We have reached our start up budget 515 eu, congratulations to US! :-) I have got personal loan of 50 eu from a friend who is closely associated with fhb, lets hope I get out plenty of kombucha to cover it up before the end of the event :-))

I got bit busy last two days, since tomorrow evening I should have more time to put in. This email is a bit of summary, sorry for typos, I'm quite tired (but good :-)).

I'm trying to get more info on Indiegogo for the crowd sourcing, hope to cover it soon, within next three days or so, help on that would be great so there is feed back.

How are we on the logo? I liked the globe too, I just wonder how to connect it to the food&beverage hacking = marriage of traditional and new ... Some kind of cup or another symbol of drink would be nice to incorporate ...

How can I sign in to the wiki and start to upload staff? User name Algoldor, code christian would suffice for now ...

I still did not get response from the orga if we can pay part of our invoice by PayPal, starting to be bit nervous about it, send another email and asked friend if he could do some PayPal, Dutch account magic ...

I will sit down and latest by Thursday I will propose the budgeting for the event and the crowd sourcing campaign. We already talked about that, the idea of scaling as Christian said is realistic. First I would suggest to dedicate first chunk of cash to kitchen equipment which we need and can not borrow, plus ingredients, I hope from bottom of my hearth that could be around 500 -600 eu.

After or within that would be the workshop/lounge pavilion, which at minimum means some tarp for roof and columns to support it, no floor (tables and chairs we have). From the top of my head 150-300 eu should do, maybe less for the basic one.

Third is washing area, we may be able to get sinks for the event, I'm checking on it, still the support structure and floor has to be done, maybe 50-200 eu (nice think to promote us, it would be for public use too, with us having priority access, next to fhb, sounds good?).

Last is the hexayurt based cold room which would be the solution for the probiotic drinks (which equals part of our donations, hopefully few hundreds euros and partly donations towards my flight ticket ...), also this facility would be cool thing to develop for next events and various other applications. Again this one would be partly for public use too, if we are OK with that, hope it would go smooth. The costs are unclear. We have one airc-on promissed for two days before the conference starts, I'm now hunting for another one for the conference, that would save around 200-300 eu of costs. The construction should be below 400 eu for sure, otherwise it would be too expensive - we would need a special donor/s to cover that. By the way I got an info that the creator of hexayurt system Vinai is coming to OHM 2013 and he is going to be around to give some advice, sounds good to me, we may not end up with some strange "triangle" after all ... :-)

Anyway so if we think about that quickly, 600 eu for the kitchen, 250 eu for the workshop/lounge pavilion, 150 eu for washing station and lets be optimistic around 500 eu for the hexayurt, that gives us in total 1500 eu. I'm sure that there are things like lights, extension leads and million other staff worth of another 150-300 eu, so 1800 eu.

It seems to me bit risky to set our target for crowd sourcing at indiegogo (or other if you have suggestions) at 1000 eu. I would rather go the way as Christian suggested and scale up with basic goal of around 500-700 eu and if reached than next step for example 1000 and third one 1500 eu, with the priorities fallowing as mentioned above (kitche, proper workshop/lounge pavilion, washing station and cold room). What do you think?

Well that should be enough for now in next two days I will come back with "appropriate" proposal of costing and 3D models, please contribute your ideas etc. and think about the logo. How much time do we have Christian to be able to order the stickers and material for the batches? What would be the deadline for the payment, could you update how much?

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org