[foodhacking] cold room build up project

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 01:53:49 CEST 2013

> We wonder who would be interested in joining the project - open source,
> community based as usually :-) We need to figure out how much space is
> needed and based on that decide how big cold room to build and what to use
> as a cooling system.

A few tips.  Cold air flows downward, this means the conventional
freezer-on-top refrigerator is extremely inefficient the more you use
(open) it.

So, use a floor model, that is contained on 5 sides like a bathtub
that has a lift-up top.

The more insulation (around all sides) the better, and if you use a
lift-up top, you'll hardly waste any energy.  If you have sunlight
shinging on the surface put a barrier.

If you can't use a lift-up top freezer, put empty, sealed boxes in
there to displace air, so you aren't having to re-cool the whole space
everytime you open it.

Keep plenty of ventilation space around the coil.  Maybe you can use
the heat for something so you don't lose energy.  Or put it on the
other side of the wall.

That's a few tips off the top of my head...
--
MarkJ
pangaia.sf.net