[hackerspaces] Software Freedom Day - 20th edition

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen at gaeremyn.be
Tue Aug 1 15:55:36 CEST 2023

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for taking a look (and your critical eye). There's a long history
here. In the period 2004-2010, internet wasn't prevalent at all (let
alone broadband internet). Handing out CD's with a bunch of FOSS
software was a main motivator to organize these events. At the bottom of
the about-page here
<https://www.digitalfreedomfoundation.org/index.php/about>, you can find
some history about TheOpenCD project that was part of the inception.
Indeed, around 2008 there were close to 600 groups organizing Software
Freedom Day. Bejing LUG did a hell of job back then making packages with
swag that got sent around the world. These contained some T-shirts, a
banner, a bunch of balloons and stickers and also a stack of CD's (I
still remember getting an Ubuntu Ship-it CD for 14.04 back in the days).

So there are practical changes (availability software through online
channels, no more swag), but I also see ideological changes. Talking for
Belgium - I saw a big shift from "Open Source" to "Open Standards"
(which is an important downgrade imo) and from innocuous (aka viral)
licenses to permissive licenses... serving the developers (and
companies) rather than the users. Big tech companies successfully
succeeded marketing FOSS as being irrelevant because "less free" and
using negative terminology like "viral licensing".

Now we're with a new team of volunteers putting our shoulders under SFD
(and the Digital Freedom Foundation in general, which also has Hardware
Freedom Day, Document Freedom Day and Education Freedom Day). For this
year the focus is on getting up and running again. Going onwards, we're
look to streamline our tools and legal structures again. I like to dream
big, and hope that one day we'll be able to actually support local
groups with (physical and/or virtual) swag to empower groups. Also
reaching out to companies engaged in FOSS software and ask them for
prizes for teams winning in a given category.

So the positive is: it's easier to grow again. The team that had to take
over the previous board, had a way much bigger challenge: they had to
fill some really big shoes. If you like to help think about reshaping
Software Freedom Day (and the other events), don't hesitate to join us
on the Matrix channel
<https://matrix.to/#/#SoftwareFreedomDay:matrix.org> :D

Grtz,
Jurgen