[hackerspaces] A little talk about hackerspaces and travel

Zeh zeh at posteo.de
Mon May 28 23:25:41 CEST 2018

On 18-05-23 18:54:27, Arclight wrote:
> Hi Thiago,

Hi Arclight :)

> Our space is in Southern California, and we welcome visitors from
> other hackerspaces all the time.  There are spaces that are more
> "startup office space" and less about community,

I hope I find those there are like a community than a "statup office
space" but I guess it will be nice to see both of them anyway :)

>but I think you'll
> find that the 3 local ones in SoCal are not like that.  Some may be
> able to accommodate a guest for a night or two, or they'll tell you
> where the nearest hostel or cheap hotel is.

Yes :). There are always places to spend the night. I have a tight
budget but I'm pretty sure I'm able to find cheap hostel or a couchsurf
(to have a more social feeling of the city), a trustroot or camping
depending on the place.

> Whether staying is allowed depends a lot on the landlord of the
> building (some are very particular about this issue) and whether the
> space has been burned before by someone that tried to stay forever.

Got it.

> When I travel, I always try to look up the local hackerspaces and come
> by.  It helps if you notify them a week or more in advance, as some of
> them are shut down on days when nobody has volunteered to open or hold
> a class.  Some spaces also let members reserve the place privately at
> certain times also.

The most important thing is to tell people in advance. So I'll be sure
about what to expect.

> I have met many nice people going around to hackerspaces.
> Bring
> photos and artifacts from other spaces if you can. Stickers are
> always good, and showing up with food when people are around is also a
> good way to make friends.

That is a good idea :). I'm going to try to collect a few stickers from
the places to share with people I met next.

Arclight.

Thanks for all your advices :)

Cheers,
Thiago