[hackerspaces] A little talk about hackerspaces and travel

Thiago zeh at posteo.de
Mon May 28 23:13:05 CEST 2018

On 18-05-23 21:46:56, Alex Porto wrote:
> Hello, Thiago.

Hi Alex :)

> I've been to some spaces and noticed that there is a lot of different
> conceptions on what a "hackerspace" is, and this reflects on how friendly
> people will receive you.
> In Brazil we had just a few spaces, and all of
> them shared a common ground as a community, visitors were always very well
> received, so I thought it would be the same all around the world.

That sounds great. I really don't expect the same kind of reception
everywhere I go. The culture changes a lot the way people interect to
each other. But it is always good to hear it again 'cause in that case I
remember to do not create any expectation from the places I want to
visit.'

> But
> mostly in US I saw that there are some spaces that are more business spaces
> that community spaces, so the reception was a little bit colder there.
>
> But I'm not telling this to discourage you. On the contrary!

Don't worry! It is good to know about your experiences and they won't
discourage me at all :)

> Look, I spent
> 3 months in Melbourne, Florida last year. I knew they had a space there,
> and I had some opportunities to go there, but I just didn't go. Simply
> because of these previous bad experiences with other US spaces. And now I
> saw Joshua's answer above and I'm felling bad for losing those
> opportunities.

The best thing to do is, sometimes, ignore your previows experiences and
try it again. :). I hope you have the chance to go to the US again and
visit more and more hackerspaces to share and learn \o/.

> So, I'd recommend trying to contact the members in advance (website,
> Facebook page, etc), so you will have an idea on how approachable the
> members are, and can also arrange to schedule the best opportunity for your
> visit. For example, an open-night, when the members would not be busy with
> their projects and could spend some time chatting with you.

I'll do so! I'm not very good on planning but in this case I'll do my
best to always tell people in advance and if I don't I'll skip it and do
something else.

I'm not looking for knowlogment only. I want to meet people around who
are whilling to spend time going to a hackerpace.

> Regards,
>
> Alex

Thanks for this message Alex! I hope we meet on the road someday!