[hackerspaces] Hackerspace and hackerspace

David Potocnik david.potocnik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:25:51 CET 2018

"First and foremost, some bitches need to get over the fact that
hackerspaces attract mostly male/white/IT careered/capitalist types."
"Anyway, we spent our youths avoiding being picked on and beat up as
much as possible. We are geeks and outcasts by virtue of the fact that
society rejected us at a young age."

Even though you and your colleagues in USA space X might truly be
"capitalist types" who used to get bullied as kids, and now want to
(not unlike "The Mentor") extend this resentimentality as the defining
attribute of the hackerspaces movement -- yeah, I'll pass.

I'd warrant that the CCC, biggest and eldest hackerspace scene
umbrella, did not spring from bullied capitalist geeks. So didn't the
European "hacklabs" of early 90s. The idea has been to explore the
technology for activist goals.

Ciao