[hackerspaces] The world needs makerspaces?

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Wed Nov 15 20:58:14 CET 2017

I think the community is as important to a hackerspace's well-being as
the building and tools -- in fact I would submit that's what makes a
hackerspace as opposed to just a community workshop or co-working
environment... or a TechShop.

You also need a good source of (volunteer) labour and people who are
passionate to keep the community going (and by association -- the space
alongside it). Paying staff to do the same may be the smart thing to do
to keep people accountable to their commitments... but only if you can
afford it.

I never really considered TechShop as part of the same ballpark as NFP
spaces, but it was an excellent resource for advanced tools and
training. They will be missed.

Ben