[hackerspaces] Invitation (was Fwd: Re: Black Highlighter + Important PS)

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Tue Jul 11 18:48:32 CEST 2017

I think you should stay out of south american politics.  And I'm not
intending to invoke monroe doctrine.  I used to live there, and I stay out
of it.  It's not my place to involve myself in the complexities there.  I
can reasonably say this though... there were no good guys in any of the
situations you are referring to.

You want to cast some huge swathe of horribleness on US external
influence... fine... we've gone done stuck our proverbial dick in the
mashed potatoes plenty of times.  But your country would still be a soviet
satellite state without us, and as far as international active involvement
goes historically... the US has been the nicest super power to ever exist
in global history.  So sure, we've fucked up.  And continue to.  But so far
we're doing better than anyone else yet.  Feel free to hop in and do
better.  Or feel free to sit on the sidelines.  We are international and
national fuckups.  America was founded by fuckups, for fuckups.  We're
proud of our fuckup heritage.  We're the bastard children of every other
country.  But that said... we are doing better than others.  You want to
lead... lead.  You don't want to.. then follow or get out of the way.

I am down with people calling out the US for it's mistakes.  It's a
fundamental tenant of a free society.  Enshrined in the magna carta.  But,
if you want to just say shit could be better... well that's not
constructive.  Go make it better.  Cecilia is trying to make shit better.
You are just shitting all over that.  You've provided no better
alternative.  That's not constructive.  It's just flame bait man.

You have some solid concerns... but I don't see you following them up with
a solution.  And frankly... at some level, all activism requires an above
board legal frameworked interaction with the world... otherwise they end up
like the palestinian liberation movement, trapped by their own extremists
incapable of any meaningful traction, forever the victim of a nation with a
better political and public outreach.

Sure sometimes they need their own backchannels and clandestine
components.  But they need the above board shit just as badly.

Change is dangerous.  Always has been.  Always will be.  But our little
nation of fuckups have proven that fucking up is definitely better than
hoping shit gets better and not fucking up.

-Matt

fuckups for the win.