[hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Ben Hibben the.blenster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 18:22:34 CEST 2017

Personally I'm a big fan of making hackerspaces as inclusive as possible
and to do that one must expand one's ideas of what a hackerspace "is."

To me anime and game nights are perfectly acceptable nerd interests that
can be pursued at a hackerspace (and at the LVL1 Hackerspace folks with
interests in those activities have certainly spent time there on them).  I
have seen people come in to work on miniatures and learn 3D printing and
painting skills to add to their board games or D&D/etc.

We have several sewing machines so that people can make a parachute for
their rocket or their cosplay or simply some work clothes.  One friend of
mine is now working on a customized medical bag for EMTs to use.

When you restrict what "is" and "isn't" a hackerspace you limit the people
and creativity of that space.  My suggestion is to go wild and
intentionally encourage "non hackerspace" activities so that the people who
aren't necessarily naturally attracted to that sort of space can get a
chance to experience the tools and joys of Making and thus become One Of Us.

In every human activity there lies an opportunity to customize some aspect
of it to your own needs, to learn or teach, and these are, in my opinion,
the core ideas behind a hackerspace.

Why limit it to your own imagination?

Blenster
ᐧ