[hackerspaces] Classes and costs

Christie Dudley christie at hackcounsel.com
Sun Sep 18 00:33:01 CEST 2016

There is a specific legal standard for the difference in charging vs.
not charging... if you own or rent the space only (NYC Resistors model
MAY not apply because instructors charge, although there could be
construed liability there):

If you do not charge, the people who attend classes are a licensee
(oddly enough) and you are liable if you do not warn or make safe. If
they are paying to be there they are an invitee (the law never really
makes complete sense) and you have a responsibility to *inspect for
hidden hazards*, warn or make safe to avoid liability. Honestly, a sign
on the wall saying "everything in here could hurt you, use at your own
risk" or similar (dress it up a bit to make it cute/funny/boastful!)
should be enough to avoid liability. (But don't leave anything out!) As
an aside, that's why you see "caution wet floor" signs in supermarkets a
lot.

Christie