[hackerspaces] Parts and Crafts is kickstarting a kits program

William Macfarlane wmacfarl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 05:06:18 CEST 2016

Hi friends!

Parts and Crafts is a kid hackerspace and community workshop in Somerville
MA.  We've been running for about 7 years -- we started running programs
for kids about 6 months before the word "makerspace" became a commonly used
term.  We run a drop-in community open-shop, a school-alternative program,
as well as afterschool hours, classes, workshops, repair events for
grownups, a lending library for tools, monthly crypto-parties,
open-hardware project documentation nights, and anything else that seems
like a good idea.

We've spent the last seven years developing a range of simple,
easy-to-build projects that are our go-to "learn to make stuff" projects we
offer to kids, and we're taking some of our favorites and turning them into
kits that anyone can put together at home, or in the classroom.  We're
going to be documenting these projects as much as we can, and publishing
the design documents, the instructions, as well as information about how to
get and manufacture the kit parts and how the projects might be integrated
into traditional school curricula.  All of our documentation, as well as
instructional videos and supplementary material, will be licensed under a
CC ShareAlike License for other kids and educators and interested folks to
build on.

We're starting the project with a kickstarter -- we're actually 99% funded
right now, a week in, with 22 days to go.  This is incredibly exciting.
But we can always hope for more and better -- the more we raise the more
resources we can devote to producing this set of project guides, as well as
other supplementary developmental programs.

The kickstarter link is here --
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1853870446/parts-and-crafts-monthly-make-it
-- and I'll let it speak for itself.  But we'd be thrilled and grateful for
any support you can give us, either in terms or money, or just helping us
get the word out to folks who might be interested.  We've been completely
blown away so far by the amount of support and enthusiasm we've received,
both from our immediate community, and the wider community of hackers,
makers, tech educators, and the like.

thanks much,
-Will

--