[hackerspaces] Your mission statement vs the law, re bigotry and "terrorism".

Christie Dudley christie at hackcounsel.com
Mon Jul 25 19:40:19 CEST 2016

It is a little-known fact that it is perfectly legitimate to refuse to
comply with a law if you have a good-faith argument that the law should
change. You would have a good faith First Amendment challenge to a law
denying people of a certain religion a freedom others enjoy.

What I have seen in culture generally, but manifest more specifically in
hackerspaces is the assumption that certain things are somehow law (such
as restricting general public access to dangerous tools or police
authority, discrimination or non-discrimination, etc.) that do not exist
in any law, whether precedent or legislative, or that don't apply as
generally as most believe. Yet I see many hackerspaces who believe they
must integrate these perceived laws or rules into their mission
statement or operating practices.

This is much the same mentality that gave the recording industry the
foundation for their huge rulings against relatively innocent people:
the belief that something is really illegal is inculcated into society
then people in general begin to uphold the belief in court through the
jury deliberation process. (As an aside, this is why we HAVE juries in
the US - so that the sentiment of society can be reflected in court
decisions.)

As hackers, we are all in a unique position to challenge the hegemonic
tendency of culture and the sway of large organizational interests to
change what we believe is legal, gently pushing back on what we believe
to be right and just.

So make your rules and mission statements to be what you believe is
RIGHT, not what you believe to be LEGAL unless you actually are a lawyer
who practices in the area. Don't let other interests shift our culture
away from it.

Christie Dudley