[hackerspaces] Who currently has the best, most functional hackerspace model?

Pete Prodoehl raster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:42:36 CEST 2016

I'm a former Board Member at Milwaukee Makerspace (now just a regular
member) but we've got 255 members right now, and we manage our
membership stuff through Wild Apriocot <http://www.wildapricot.com/>
though it was a home-brew system in the old days. We have an access
control system for the space built by one of our founders, and it's
integrated into the payment system so if you don't pay your dues, you
don't get in the building.

As we've grown and add more and more members, people don't know each
other as well as when it was a smaller group, but we've gained financial
stability, which is good. We allow members to choose where a percentage
of their dues go every month, to a specific area/focus of the space,
like the metal shop, casing area, laser cutters, etc. Then Area
Champions can use the funds for supplies, improvements, materials, etc.
It's worked well so far, and we still have money in the bank.

We also got all rule happy and had to add all sorts of rules when we got
big, and we need to remind people to "Be Excellent to Each Other" fairly
often...

As for culture, it's become much more "heavy machine" focused and some
members seem to not be able to even use a computer for simple tasks. We
also have people who are at the space every single day, and some are
there all day (and night) it seems, which I think has an influence on
the culture and the atmosphere of the space.

Pete