[hackerspaces] Who currently has the best, most functional hackerspace model?

Christopher Agocs chris at agocs.org
Tue Jul 5 18:16:42 CEST 2016

>We’ve adopted as many of the hackerspace patterns as possible, but are a
bit hung up reaching long-term financial sustainability due to member
churn. The space we selected to start in required a lot of work and it has
burned some members out. Given our community, we also have a shortage of
members with some of the key skills that make setting up systems (IT,
business) go faster, so that has taken some time. Getting there now.

I don't mean to be glib, but that's kind of the fun of hackerspacing. If
the Hackerspace (legal entity) goes broke and folds, the hackerspace (core
group of people) will still probably get together pretty regularly and
shoot the shit about what an adventure that was and what do we need to do
to start it again.

I'm the treasurer at SSH:C, and the way I see it, my job is to provide
recommendations as to how much we can spend without losing our butts. We're
actually doing kinda-okay right now. Not great, not terrible. None of us
have any business acumen whatsoever, so we're just trying ideas for how to
grow the membership and how to keep people engaged and seeing what sticks.

One fruitful idea we've had is a "hack scholars" program. A few of our
members donated money equivalent to a few months' membership for a few
people, and we applied that to our build-out, making it go faster. We then
offered free memberships to students at nearby colleges, with the
understanding that they'd hang out and hack and also help out building the
space physically or digitally. We found a few really smart people that way,
who are now part of the organization.

Anyway, good luck not burning the place down. I'll have to swing by next
time I'm in Birmingham.

-Chris