[hackerspaces] member management software

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Fri Jan 8 20:16:06 CET 2016

Hi All,

I'm the lead dev for Seltzer, so I thought I'd chime in and give the
current status of the project. TL;DR: it might be useful for you, but it's
currently maintenance-only.

The latest release is usable, but not very polished. It's easy to build
your own modules to extend it (very similar to drupal's module system). A
lot of spaces have built extensions and some of them are in the dev branch.

The code is in PHP, which makes security more challenging and also makes it
harder to find developers. While small incremental improvements in PHP make
sense, I'm convinced that merging with an existing project, or rewriting in
a more modern language is the future of Seltzer. Whenever that happens,
I'll make sure there's an upgrade path from the latest release.

For the time-being, I'm in a phd program and don't have the time to
facilitate a healthy open source community around the project. If anyone
from another project is interested in merging, or if any experienced
php/drupal devs or open source community managers are interested in helping
coordinate improvements to seltzer, let me know!

Happy hacking,
Ed

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Chad Elish <chad at hackpittsburgh.org> wrote:

> I would check with Bob Bradley at Sector67. He developing some very cool
> plugins for woo commerce. Including but not limited to hackerspace
> accounts, door access, automated laser cutter deduction (from account). We
> at HackPGH are going to be helping him out by doing some development and
> beta testing.
>
> Cheers!
> -Chad
> President | HackPGH
> Pittsburgh’s First Hackerspace
> *http://www.hackpittsburgh.org <http://www.hackpittsburgh.org>*
>
> On Jan 7, 2016, at 12:20 AM, bownes <bownes at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> We are using seltzer, have extended it to work with our door systems and
> are quite happy with it.
>
> On Jan 6, 2016, at 18:10, hadez <hadez.hso at nrrd.de> wrote:
>
> After trying several things and none of them doing what we wanted a small
> group started working on our own solution (based on django).
> You can find it here: https://github.com/shackspace/shackbureau
> It's still under development but has been in production use at shackspace
> for a few months with great success.
> --
> hadez
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:37 PM Danilo <mail at dbrgn.ch> wrote:
>
>> We use a custom Django app: https://github.com/coredump-ch/interna/ The
>> member models can be found here:
>> https://github.com/coredump-ch/interna/blob/master/interna/memberdb/models.py We
>> then use Django Admin to change the data. And there's a view in the
>> frontend that filters out the currently active and former members. (Sorry
>> for the very sparse and often German documentation... It wasn't meant as a
>> project that can be used by the general public.)
>>
>> Both the model and the entire app aren't really ideal though. I'd be
>> interested in a Django REST Framework based solution. It would need to be
>> quite flexible though, to accomodate different membership models, different
>> ways of invoicing, etc.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Danilo

Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
https://elplatt.com
@elplatt <http://twitter.com/elplatt>
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload:
https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose
desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose,
long-winded, rambling prose.