[hackerspaces] Question regarding member dispute

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 06:30:10 CET 2016

Don't worry about laws - you are a private organization, you can kick
people out whenever you want for nearly any reason. I'm not saying you
definitely have to do it at this point, but don't forget that your board,
or whoever the legal owners/managers of your organization are have nearly
ultimate power over who is present. Even non-profits don't have to make
their board minutes public in most states, and even if you did, the minutes
are "Voted 4-0 to revoke membership of <screwball>." Nothing wrong with
that at all. It also largely doesn't matter what your current bylaws say -
because you can just vote to amend them. I recommend something like,
"Members may be removed with [x] days notice, at the sole discretion of the
board."

Our process is roughly:

1. Encourage disagreeing members to work it out on their own, perhaps with
a helpful suggestion of how to do so.
2. Direct mediation if needed - we have members who are trained mediators
who volunteer to help out.

If an incident escalates, or isn't resolved with a nice chat, then:

1. One written warning.
2. Dismissal on the second.

That said - we reserve the right to act as we feel is necessary for the
health of the group - some situations may warrant a second warning, others
may not make it to the first. I strongly recommend your bylaws giving you
two paths - the normal, calm, equitable path for when the process is
working, and a second, immediate path for when it isn't. Some people are
masters at walking the line, playing board members against each other, and
otherwise being a pest without breaking the letter of the rules.

As far as discussing privately with the board vs. publicly with the
membership:

1. We alert the membership at large if their property or safety may be risk
(only happened once when a new member background check came up with an
armed robbery conviction - the membership wanted to give the person a
chance, and hey, they've been an awesome member)
2. Or privately discuss with just the board (if property or safety is not
at risk) - this accounts for most of our "what should we do about <so n
so>" discussions

If the board votes to dismiss a member, we can then do so. If they broke a
"big rule", then the dismissal would be immediate, otherwise our lease
terms give us a "with 30 days notice for any reason" (our members get space
of their own as well as common space, hence the lease agreement). Our board
is also given individual power to kick someone out without a board vote at
all if a member physically harms or threatens someone in the space
(deputized to act on behalf of the entire board on matters of physical
safety).

-Sam
Phoenix Asylum, Boulder, CO