[hackerspaces] bring back the crime - "hacker" is starting to mean "creative entrepeneur"

Alex Porto alex.itajuba at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:11:25 CEST 2015

When I saw the message from Michael, I immediately also remembered that
article sent by Dave. I've been seen a lot of things that relate to this
article here (Brazil up-country). I thought this startup bubble had already
popped out in other countries, but here it seems to be just starting to
gain mainstream media.

It seems we have two waves on our space: When we first open it, we received
a lot of CS students interested in "computer security", do to the "hacker"
part or the name "hackerspace". Most of them vanished in a few months, when
they saw us building labs for electronics and hard tools.

Now we have a lot of people interested on the this "startup
entrepreneurship ". The city is receiving a lot of events related to these.
Almost every weekend there's a hackathon where you have the opportunity to
work for free during straight 48 hours for a given corporation. Well, not
exactly free, since you get a t-shirt. Then, the next day, we have new
visitors on our meetings, looking for technical partners to implement their
disruptive ideas, or something like that.