[hackerspaces] Group chat for hackerspaces going to Congress

Walter van Holst walter at revspace.nl
Tue Nov 17 11:03:14 CET 2015

On 17/11/2015 01:10, Rubin Abdi wrote:

> This year I've started a matrix of chat protocols and services groups at
> a conference such as Congress could use. It's not meant to declare a
> winner, but to give folks a nice overview of all the trade offs of going
> with a particular service so that you can make a good choice as to what
> works well specifically for you. Ironically it's hosted on Google Docs...

Given that Congress is about walled gardens, it is quite ironic indeed.

What the fuck is wrong with you that you can't be arsed to put it on a
static html page somewhere? Even a simple pdf attachment would have
worked for everyone.

And no, I am not going to log in to any goddamn Google service to read a
table.

Also, people don't use encryption because their threat model consists of
being snooped upon as part of targeted intelligence gathering. If you
are in that position you're boned anyway. You use encryption to raise
the cost of dragnet surveillance and/or to keep non-state (e.g.
corporate) surveillance out of your life. So yes, encryption should be
on top of your list. But your list is already pretty useless anyway.

Regards,

 Walter