[hackerspaces] Alcohol policies?

Rachel Uwa info at schoolofma.org
Mon Mar 30 23:22:36 CEST 2015

hi all,

i wasn't referring to health and safety but more code of conduct, pretty
much a must have for
any organisation these days imho!

see ours here from the Berlin community:
https://rubyberlin.github.io/code-of-conduct/

I signed up my own School of Machines, Making & Make-Believe as soon as I
heard about its existence.
Having all community members on the same page really makes a difference to
the quality of our
close communities here in Berlin. I'd encourage all spaces and groups to
consider it:)

cheers,
Rachel

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Ben Brown <ben at generik.ca> wrote:

>  We tend to err on 'don't restrict unless it become a serious problem', in
> this case we have alcohol at our space, and members BYOB. Sometimes there's
> leftover booze from parties and other events. It hasn't caused a problem so
> far.
>
> Our Health and Safety policy is common-sense and due-diligence based. We
> provide safety gear, procedures and training for specific tools (like a
> laser cutter or cnc router), but otherwise you're on your own. If you hurt
> yourself using power tools after 10 beers, it's your own damn fault.
>
> Additionally, a member can be asked to leave, faces suspension or even
> termination for irresponsible and dangerous behavior that goes against the
> H&S policy.
>
> Ben
>

> On 3/30/2015 5:04 PM, Dave wrote:
>
> We're currently looking at alcohol use in the space.  There are some
> members who think it's a really bad idea (drunks and power tools) while
> others think it's a matter of personal responsibility.
>
>  We also have been hosting occasional "reception" events for various
> organizations as a way of increasing visibility and recruiting members.
> Beer and wine are served at those events, but the breakers to the tools are
> turned off.
>
>  I'm wondering if other spaces have considered alcohol use, and how
> that's worked out?
>
>  Cheers,
> David

*Founder / School of Machines, Making & Make-Believe  |   *
http://schoolofma.org/