[hackerspaces] And now for something completely different...

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:08:02 CET 2015

I actually believe that car maintenance and repair falls under the
"waste not, want not" ethic and keeping your car running properly
keeps it out of a shredder and its embodied energy being lost.

That being said, I have also experienced non-running cars being a huge
drain on resources at our place and tend to put pretty stiff
restrictions on long car projects now.

The previous suggestions of requiring a "removal deposit" to be posted
if someone is going to leave a vehicle for an extended period of time
is a good one.  Depending on your local rules require it, you might
also want to have a signed form authorizing you to remove it.

On car forums, a common thing that comes up is that a Jeep or MG or
whatever comes up on Craigslist for cheap, but the person who wants it
lives far away. Usually, the more serious car people will arrange
something with a forum member nearby so that they can buy it and have
it towed over.

To make it work, they offer a deposit and sometimes even the title so
that there is no incentive for them to flake out and leave it there.
Putting the risk on the new owner rather than the storage person who
is doing a favor seems to work out well for the hardcore car
hobbyists.

Arclight