[hackerspaces] RFC: security alarm and access control systems in use

Brett Dikeman brett.dikeman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 05:35:42 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:55 PM, JB Zurn <jbzurn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also I guess they assume that someone who is capable of hacking a proxcard
> system would probably enjoy hanging out with people at a hackerspace.

Given our space has instructions on how to hang out with us (public events,
email and ask), someone with such poor respect for other people's
boundaries is not someone I would want to be part of our community. I'm
well aware security is never perfect; yes, there are easier means, but
other methods (ie physical) leave much more evidence, do not potentially
endanger the reputation of an innocent party, etc. There are a multitude of
reasons for wanting good access control. We've had to expel one member and
lock them out because their behavior harmed others.

Anyway...this was just a secondary comment/grousing, and I don't want to
get bogged down in it. Simple take it as my opinion that hackerspaces
should demonstrate good security, given how often so many people who
frequent them, concern themselves with, or make fun of, poor security
practices of others.

What's the current state-of-the-art / who has a really sweet setup? Lessons
learned? Thank you to the person who added a new link to the wiki!

-B