[hackerspaces] Wanted: your Hackerspace Design Patterns

Robert Davidson robert at dallasmakerspace.org
Mon Jul 6 20:53:44 CEST 2015

Over in Dallas we just cleared 900 members and growing strong.
(This could put us at the largest makerspace in the world and growing
strong anyone know any other makerspace with over 1000 paying members?)

Here is a couple of notes

Culture (You need to start when your young at Dallas Makerspace we have a
culture of safety, recruitment, sharing knowledge.)

Revenue (Reoccurring revenue NEVER MAKE EXCEPTIONS! You have bills to pay
come up with an amount that everyone agrees on and stick with it.)

Automation (Automate as much as possible at Dallas our CRM system ties to
our access control which will manage a majority of transactions such as
Insufficient Funds, Credit Card Expiration. the end goal is make sure you
get paid and there are no exceptions to who pays what as we all pay the
same dues.)

Cleanness (We have a rather strict clear table policy effectively a work
tables default should stay 100% Clear if the person is not there; it works
very well for us)

Cleanness ( Project storage is extremely difficult things to manage have
clear policies and consistent enforcement. Also know when to say no to a
donation (Working space is one of the most valuable assets you have don't
fill it up with unusable clutter))

Cleanness (If you have not used something in over a year get rid of it and
make room for something new)

Equipment (Focus on the 80% of what your membership want for us we invest
heavily into Wood, Auto, Arts)

Equipment (Buy the best you can afford people join makerspaces for 2
primary things first the community and the second is the equipment ((During
our Board Meetings I always ask the question will this 1 item bring new
people in)))

Equipment (Don't have broken equipment at the facility period. ((I know
this will upset people)) Broken equipment is like a plague it expands and
nobody does anything to treat it as it gets out of control.)

Equipment (Warranty's as you get larger don't underestimate the value of a
service contract when something breaks it's nice to call someone to fix it
without everything being a project)

Policies and Procedures (Keep it Simple you are doing well if members even
glance at your policies and procedures so don't over complicate them.)

Policies and Procedures (Majority of people will never look at your wiki or
rules so put up as much signage as possible.)

Education (There is a direct correlation between classes and membership
growth)

Education (If you are going to put training restrictions on tools you must
offer training our rule of thumb is monthly)

Personal (Identify your Evangelist's as well as your room leader and invest
in them and empower them)

Offerings (If something is just not bringing in people or it's a dead
project don't be afraid to kill it off makerspaces are organic in nature
you have to make room for new life)

Communication (After you hit 1000 Emails a month go ahead and abandon a
mailing list and move to forums)

Security ( We elected to install cameras throughout the buildings it's
extremely nice to go back and see exactly what happened in the event of
incidents)

Operations (Separate out your member tools and your operations equipment
there is equipment you need just to operate not for general membership use)

As always these are just some notes from Dallas Makerspace as always YMMV.

Robert Davidson
Board Of Director Dallas Makerspace