[hackerspaces] Member penalties

Bob Bownes bownes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 05:33:11 CET 2015

We are having a problem with a few members who are abusing their privileges. These are either our top tier members who have 24/7 access or some of our volunteers who are failing at their volunteer duties. In either case, we have members who are leaving the space a mess, or generally are abusing equipment.

Like many places, our members pay a monthly membership fee. Our volunteers can get credit towards that fee for hours worked. Penalizing volunteers is easy (take away the credit or the ability to volunteer) but leads to fewer volunteers. Penalizing paying members is also hard.

How are other spaces addressing this? Peer pressure alone is not solving the problem.

Thanks,
Bob