[hackerspaces] Leadership abusing powers. Bullying. Extraordinary General Meetings.

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 23:19:51 CET 2015

An understated response is always 100X more effective than a long,
emotional one. If for some reason I didn't just move on from a
situation like this, I would do the following:

1. Determine if there is anyone who cares and can make a difference
2. Privately speak to those people. Do it in a business-like manner
and without a 30 minute story. Just a simple "I feel like a couple of
our folks are stepping over the line and making me uncomfortable. What
should I do?" Get their feedback and/or buy-in.
3. Privately speak to the people you think are the problem. Often
times, the people who relish in passive-aggressive behaviour can be
set straight by a private chat if it's done in a business-like way.
Either that, or they'll totally lose their shit and think you're going
to kill them. Whatever happens, the matter will be resolved.
4. Consider that there may not be a personality fit here and that
there are more productive things you could be doing rather than trying
to fit a culture that isn't healthy. You can always walk away and come
back later when things have imploded and you can be part of the
rebuilding.
5. Whatever you do, do not send a long, personal e-mail to the org's
general mailing list. No matter how in-the-right you may be, you'll
come across as a crazy cat lady and it really serves no constructive
purpose.

Just my USD$.02 from having had to deal with a few messy membership issues.
Arclight