[hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Simon Clark simon at zebraspot.com
Thu Dec 3 17:34:47 CET 2015

On Dec 3, 2015, at 10:00 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

> My intent is to make a case to the OP that they should be in touch with an organization with experience in providing assistance to immigrants to get details on how to help them use a membership in a way that will help. I think people should dedicate more than just money in this case by checking with the organization to see what other needs there may be for people to be able to use a hackerspace. e.g. transportation, child care, providing of interpreters, ??? etc.

And I appreciate it.  We’ve been in touch with the local organization that will be settling the majority of refugee families in our city.  My understanding is we can expect 50 - 60 families in the next 6 months.  There’s no way our space can offer unlimited memberships, so we will be relying on the local aid organization to offer candidates who will likely benefit the most.

What we can offer them is access to tools, training, a pre-built community of friendly enthusiastic locals, and hopefully connections and opportunities that may lead to employment. We’ll see how it works out.

Simon
Diyode Community Workshop