[hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Wed Dec 2 17:54:12 CET 2015

  Hi!

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 11:27:20AM -0500, matt wrote:
> And while I will agree there are no doubt bad ass syrian developers /
> hackers out there.  Most folks will not have any exposure to technology or
> the fundamentals necessary to succeed with it.

  I'm not sure what do you mean by "exposure to technology", but
AFAIK the Near/Middle East refugees almost universally have cellphones,
Facebook profiles, watch Youtube etc.  It's rather bemusing that some
think of them as living in the pre-electricity era before they see the
flushing toilet for the first time during their trip to the West.

  I guess part of the misunderstanding is the seduction of lumping
all "undeveloped world" together - Syria and Kenya, Paraguay and
Indonesia, Pakistan and Afghanistan, (South) Sudan and Nepal, ...
In fact, the tech situation in each of these locations is AFAIK very
different and their economic level may not correlate well with ih.
Another thing is that 10 year old anecdotes / experience with some
of these regions may be largely invalid today.

--
				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,