[hackerspaces] Food Hacking Base at CCC camp 2015 join and support - BOMB WARNING!

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 29 14:02:34 CEST 2015

Greetings to al and Overflol,first of all I'm really sorry for the incident and I'm very glad that things did not ended worse.
Second, it was truly beverage distributed by Food Hacking Base Village within our Probiotic Drinks Everywhere Project which I was coordinating

https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/wiki/Projects:Fhb_probiotic_drinks_everywhere
I think I do know which batch was "the one" by the way, it was actually prepared before the event.

We are aware of the issue and we will come up with solutions, for more info check the answers/suggestions in the email below as ### quick and most reliable fix is proper labeling of the bottles - "Keep at cold otherwise danger of explosion".

Once more I'm sorry for the issue, will do my best to avoid it in the future.
Sincerely from VoidWarranties,
Frantisek
PS Answers as ###

hi frantisek and everybody

you had a workshop on kefir or kombucha or something similar and one of
the bottles ended up at our village (leiwandville).
### the drink was prepared already before the camp to be drunked during the camp as part of our Probiotic Drinks Everywhere project which I coordinated

there was a glass bottle used with a ceramic closing bracket.
whoever brought it didnt know that he/she was not supposed to CLOSE it
and the bottle EXPLODED in the middle of an SMD soldering workshop i
gave there.
### the bottle was supposed to  be closed (90% preference) if people like their drink carbonated. However life probiotic drinks needs to be kept cold otherwise they do overferment and potentionally (but actually quite rearly) explode. Other options is to drink non fizzy versions with partly loosed tops so the carbon can safely escape.

it was really quite bad, people got hurt and need to go to the hospital
because glas particles were stuck in their faces, a throat was cut and
an eyelid bleeding..
### I checked with the CERT and was very happy that it did not ended worse, it had the potential to be very serious I'm aware of that.

we also found a 20cm long piece of glass that went trough the ceiling of
the tent and propelled for another 4-5 meters afterwards.
that tent was made of some sturdy fabric, so if that piece would have
hit a guy he would probably have died.

anyway, the smd workshop was a BLAST. ;)

### I hope your workshop was success at the end, sounds like that :-)

i just wanted to make sure that everybody attending a foodhacking
workshop in the future knows exactly that closing a bottle of fermenting
stuff could result in  a lifethreatening bomb.
### We really try to inform everyone that they have to keep their drinks at cold (fridge or on ice) otherwise if left at room temperature or higher they will overferment and can either spray people when opened or explode - but that is very rare case and it takes actually generally weeks of extra fermentation at room temperature for that to happen and still doesn't happen too often. I've been told the bottle was on direct sun which based on my measurments during the camp could result in temperature over 40 if not even 45C which can speed the process very much. Also the bottle which exploded was higher on sugars than desired for event of this type.

### The main think which we plan to do is to label the bottles clearly with "potentionaly explosive, keep at cold!" sings as solution number one, continuing telling to the people the info and we will think about more security stuff added. Using plastic bottles seems as one option which should really help but I've to look into what happens if the plastic bottle exploads - could be potentionally even worse because of the extreme pressure. We do plan to continue to make and distribute the drinks in the future on the hacker events, hackerspaces etc. so we will do our best to do it safely. We are into this for over five years and there are more and more hackerspaces which are starting to handle these drinks well in a long term (Brmlab in Prague is one of the most active for example).

i am not critisizing you here, you do great work and i am happy that you
do what you do.
### Tjhanks I really enjoy this, people are joining and contaminating their homes and hackerspaces, I'm very happy :-)

i just want to make sure that in the future people will not be hurt by
their lack of knowledge.

### Yes people need to know and they need to care about the drinks, bottles left unattended around are potential danger, but I think as first step, sticker clealry stating the handling procedure and explosion potential should eliminate most of the issues, plastic bottles are also possibility.

all the best
-flo
### Thanks for the post and suggestions, we will apply first improvements at MRMCD 2015

https://mrmcd.net/2015/

### and BalCCon2k15 as a second phase

https://2k15.balccon.org

### to be ready with safer and complex approach for 32c3 - primarily for tasting and workshop purposes because no food and drinks served for masses there, sorry.

 Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org "There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi