[hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Joshua Pritt ramgarden at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 23:05:18 CEST 2015

We've also tried thinking of a better way to control the "time" allotted /
tracked on each piece of equipment.  Also since the RFID card reader reads
it once we need to know how long the card is there so we've thought of card
holders that read it and presses a button inside the holder until the card
is removed.  The problem then becomes for things like:
1. What if I need to go outside while the 3D printer is printing and I need
my RFID key to get back inside?
2. What if I need to leave the 3D printer running overnight for a long
print?

The idea was to just give that person a 2nd card just for tools so they can
leave it in the holder.
The SQL we use to verify keys in Seltzer works for multiple keys assigned
to a single user so it would be easy to give each person two RFID cards.

Then you run into the mess if someone leaves their card overnight any other
member can come in and take your card.  That would be terrible and I don't
think anyone would do that but it is possible.

A timer is a bad solution since you could run out before the print finishes
at 2 am.  So we thought you could just swipe multiple times to add 15 mins
(or so) to the total run time.  But then you run into the problem of not
giving yourself enough time for the print to finish or putting in too much
time and allowing the next person to just start using the tool with
leftover time.