[hackerspaces] Laser Cutter Fires?

justin corwin outlawpoet at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 20:07:10 CEST 2015

I spoke to an Epilog rep at a conference, he said the two most common
causes of fires are power supplies(they either overheat or fail and arc
electrically like the one you mention in dallas) and tray fires caused by
vector cutting over a tray full of discarded material. If you are cutting
patterns with lots of small detail, the little discards can pile up
quickly, and overshoot from the laser can set it on fire.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Robert Davidson <
robert at dallasmakerspace.org> wrote:

> I wanted to know how many out there have had a fire on there CO2 Laser?
>
> What was the root cause?
>
> I define fire as leaving the confines of the machine.
> Though if your machine was destroyed by a fire in the tray that would
> count as well.
>

> I can start out with Dallas Makerspace we had the High Voltage line arc to
> the metal case and caused a fire in the laser tube area. (It was quickly
> extinguished with a Fire Extinguisher)
>
> Artifacture a local company in Dallas; there CO2 laser destroyed a large
> part of there building from a fire that was not observed.  Root Cause:
> (Guessing as it was absolute destruction was that the material was left in
> the tray from acrylic that had fallen through the tray)
>

> Robert Davidson
> Dallas Makerspace

Justin Corwin
outlawpoet at gmail.com