[hackerspaces] the challenge

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Tue Sep 16 00:58:47 CEST 2014

On 09/14/2014 02:38 AM, marcos wrote:

> is an interesting challenge. I need to do a visual demonstration
> about how insecure is to send information unencrypted, and if is
> possible, the documentation published by snowden. I don't know how
> to do this visual

Take one Linux or BSD box - your laptop would do just fine.  It needs
two network interfaces - for the sake of discussion, let's say it has
an Ethernet jack and a wireless network interface.  Let's further say
that the place you'll be running the demo has wireless access.
Configure the wireless card to associate with the site's wireless
network.  Let's further assume that you're running a desktop on your
laptop.

Plug your own wireless access point into the Ethernet jack of your
laptop.  Configure it so that it looks like a common wireless network.
 Maybe set the ESSID to "Free Demo Wireless".  Maybe set a WPA key on
it, if you like.

Configure your laptop to forward packets from the Ethernet interface
to the wireless interface and back again.  There are some good howtos
on this out there.  The net result is that anybody associated with
your wireless access point is going to send traffic through it,
through your laptop, out the wireless interface on your laptop, and
through the site wireless.

Install Wireshark on your laptop.  Point it at the Ethernet interface
that your wireless access point is plugged into.  You'll see all of
the traffic people on your honeypot wireless network send and receive.

Then you just need people to connect to your personal AP and not the
site's...

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]
Developer, Project Byzantium: http://project-byzantium.org/