[hackerspaces] Space management apps - what we have, what we need?

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Tue Sep 2 22:47:22 CEST 2014

I'm currently working on a project at Kwartzlab called gatekeeper, an
OpenLDAP-based single sign-in system for members to access the website
(wordpress), wiki (mediawiki), wifi (RADIUS) and other services at the
space. This system will also provide the basis for a new membership
register, which is currently just a Google Doc.

Part of the project will also replace our current RFID-based door
control system for an NFC-compliant one that also links into LDAP. This
will allow us to use our existing cards (Mifare Desfire EV1) as well as
NFC enabled phones and other tags (I'm personally looking to use a
Dangerous Things xNT implant). My priority right now is testing a door
control prototype (currently python-based on raspberry pi w/pn532 module
over High Speed UART). Will see how reliable it is anyway, many hobbyist
micro platforms seem to have incomplete NFC stacks.

Planning to have a RESTful API available so other members can link in
and use the authentication for their own projects, though that piece is
still in it's infancy.

Otherwise, our current info keeping is a mixture of Dropbox, Google
Drive and Quickbooks for accounting.

Ben