[hackerspaces] Space management apps - what we have, what we need?

Paul Brown paul90brown at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 21:59:21 CEST 2014

Here's what Dallas Makerspace is using:

   - Calendar <http://dallasmakerspace.org/calendar>:
   https://github.com/pawl/CalendarAdmin + Google Calendar + Eventbrite
   (for ticketed events) + Meetup.com
   - Voting: https://github.com/Dallas-Makerspace/Voting (only used for
   elections)
   - Access control:
   https://github.com/pawl/Chinese-RFID-Access-Control-Library +
   https://github.com/pawl/MakerManager
   - Accounting: Quickbooks
   - Mailing List: Google Groups
   - User accounts: OpenLDAP
   - Wiki: MediaWiki
   - To-do List: trello.com
   - Billing/Payment Processing: http://www.whmcs.com/ (mostly because it
   allows tracking existing paypal recurring payments, it also has "hooks"
   that can be used to automatically deactivate RFID badges if they don't pay)
   - Inventory (not used as much as we'd like):
   https://github.com/Dallas-Makerspace/Inventory /
   https://github.com/Dallas-Makerspace/DMSSimpleInventory

Our needs? Our new calendar management app needs more features, like adding
new events to eventbrite and meetup.com automatically (to reach a wider
audience): https://github.com/pawl/CalendarAdmin

I also have some some access control systems I can give away if someone
wants to help tackle some of the TODOs on this project:
https://github.com/pawl/Chinese-RFID-Access-Control-Library

The relevant running a hackerspace post:
http://runningahackerspace.tumblr.com/post/57715747994/implementing-a-process-that-works-well-for-another