[hackerspaces] Help with membership agreement and tool loan policies

Joshua Pritt ramgarden at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:24:26 CEST 2014

1. Make sure people know about LOANING a tool vs DONATING a tool.  If
loaned the member can take it back if they move or whatever.  Donating
means it's part of the shop's assets.
2. Create a wiki page on your space's wiki (you do have a wiki, right?)
with a table showing who loaned or donated which tools. Or if multiple
members paid for a tool.
3. If loaned make sure to put your name on it with a labelmaker or
engraver, etc.
4. Make a rule that if someone breaks a tool they should help pay for
fixing or replacing it.  Rational people should automatically offer to help
fix it.
5. Some people have asked about valuating tool donations so that if they
donate a tool it will pay for their membership for some time.  This still
needs further discussion.