[hackerspaces] Question for US hackerspaces: local taxes on assets?

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Fri May 16 21:41:56 CEST 2014

Greetings hackers,

We recently were contacted by our local city/county about assessing and paying some taxes on all assets owned by our space. They have a nice unhelpful sheet where you can list all your assets used by the "business" and how much you paid for them so you can be taxed and depreciated for next years assessment. Talking with them has made it clear that since we're a non-profit this isn't going to really cost us much, but it's still a minor hassle we have to wade through. The only real asset of value that belongs to the space is our laser and we already have all assets in the space tracked in our asset database which makes this easy enough. I was just curious how other spaces have handled this? I know this will vary from state to state, I'm just curious more than anything.

Thanks,
-dosman
http://www.bloominglabs.org