[hackerspaces] Differences between hackerspaces and fablabs

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Tue May 13 18:10:04 CEST 2014

That's interesting, Shawn.

In our (still newish, got into a rental space last fall) non-profit hackerspace in Birmingham, Al, our founding group
has been taking governance, information security and "making things work" fairly seriously, as we want to see the
space continue to work in a self-renewing way long after we wander off or have to pull back due to work or other start-ups.

We've been closely following the "lessons learned" business section of the Make Magazine.
We have an approximate ratio of 2:1 of twenty-somethings and late 40s/early 50-somethings membership.

As we're going along, we're deliberately shoving decision-making down to the membership level (you want to do it? Great!
Start a project page, get in there and lead it!). Going forward, I think one of our main challenges will be to ensure that
we develop an understudy system so that we renew group leadership every three to four years. All the standard stuff that
comes into play with volunteer-run organizations. We're cheerfully stealing other best practices from outside the
hackerspace/makerspace community as we using the organizational patterns identified on www.hackerspaces.org.

Makers Local 256 up in Huntsville, AL, OTOH, has been fairly relaxed. But they've also been around longer, and have
developed community connections and grown cash reserves. We're still in our empty-pockets, more guts than glory
start-up phase. :)

Several of our founding members have previous non-profit org experience and a couple run their own
businesses. We also need to be taken seriously by the local city leadership in order to do some of the
things we want to do three years out, such as developing introduction to programming classes and programming
and electronics project classes for neighborhood youth. So, that means making, as much as possible space
operations "simply work". We feel strongly that we are filling a gap in our local blossoming tech sector that badly
needs filling, and have to be credible in order to access to some of the resources we want to plug into for tech
education.

This is in a region that is lagging the rest of the US significantly in mathematics and computer science
education; we want to be the "candy store" of shiny objects begging to played with by local budding tinkerers,
programmers and engineers/technical artisans, and to serve as a bubbling off-campus, post-graduate cauldron
of collaboration and technical play. This is still a heavily siloed city and we're having to work
carefully and deliberately (and we hope, successfully) to bridge the city ethnic community and class structure.

Shirley Hicks
Board member-at-large
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham, AL