[hackerspaces] Differences between hackerspaces and fablabs

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 21:41:01 CEST 2014

For what it's worth I associate hackerspaces with programming, electronics,
repurposing, libertarianism, and collectivism; but I associate makerspaces
with crafts, DIY, scratch building, and for-profit businesses. I'd expect a
makerspace to have an owner and work like a co-working space, but a
hackerspace to have some kind of group charter or general understanding and
run on donations and volunteer labor. I'd expect a makerspace to look like
a wood/machine shop and a hackerspace to look like a few tables and
shelves. It's not a perfect guideline, but it seems to be a useful
heuristic.