[hackerspaces] handling new members

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Sun Mar 23 17:22:16 CET 2014

On Sunday, March 23, 2014 15:23:34 Georges wrote:
> Hi
>
> how do fellow spaces handle new members?
> Has everyone the same rights from the start, like full access to the
> rooms, voting rights in meetings etc...
> Or do you have a grace period serving as introduction?

Here's SYNHAK's:

https://synhak.org/wiki/Membership

* We're open to the public whenever a member is at the space
* Fill out the form
* Get two sponsors who are current members
* Drop it in the our wall mounted paper slots by the front door
* Secretary asks when you'd like interviewed during a meeting and announces it
to the group
* You come in where we ask you all sorts of questions, then you step out
* Consensus
* Pay dues

Unfortunately this has an easy way for people to get in who don't "get" the
space culture or values, which is a current issue. Various proposals to
address it include adding a grace period of sorts and creating a Community
Working Group to handle interpersonal conflict.