[hackerspaces] Dear hackerspaces, bad news

Florencia Edwards floev22 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 03:14:15 CET 2014

Read the Hacker Space Design Patterns a  long time ago. Our opinion doesn't
matter, the owner makes the final decision, is those makerspace with a
"dictator" that puts in all the money in the beginning for a huge space,
with a lot of machinery, so he decides.

My question is, does any other makerspace have payed staff? How do you pay
them? I'd love the staff here to be volunteer but i promise in my country
people can't commit easily as volunteers because life is too expensive,
there is no time , we work from 9 or 8 am until 7 pm and everyone is in
debt. We are not a developed country, and the community of makers that are
awesome don't have a cent to donate and don't trust people. We had a crowd
funding platform in our country and it went bankrupt because people don't
believe in donations, they always feel they are being ripped off.

It's not easy I just want to know what you guys think could be done better
(obviusly having a sort of dictator is the worst scenario, being it a
company and not a foundation it's also the worst scenario,and having big
brands come in it's , like someone said, a slap in the face) *but I'
curious, do you think  having a  payed staff was one of the big mistakes?*

Thanks for everything guys, every answer helps us